As you might have noticed, the GSM standard has become 25 years old on the 25th of September. If it would not be invented, we would be using CDMA – from a tech point of view, I can imagine worse things.
Strand Consult, a Danish consulting company, has now compiled the following and rather funny list of reasons why GSM is absolutely essential to some individuals:
1. Who would be the world’s richest man today if Carlos Slim had not invested in mobile telephony in Latin America? What would have happened to all the other wealthy people if they had no mobile technology to invest in?
2. What would all the Apple fans have done for an icon if there were no iPhones?
3. How would the world look like if Motorola, Nokia, RIM and other mobile technology companies never had their ups and down?
4. How else might we have learned about all the stupid and embarrassing stuff that celebrities do, if we had no SMS or MMS which later ended up in the press?
5. How else would have so many corrupt politicians and officials have made fortunes if not by issuing mobile licenses?
6. How many journalists would be out of a job if they did not have mobile technology to write about?
7. With all the court cases about mobile patents, how else would judges, lawyers, and patent experts have a made a living with the advances in mobile technology and its intellectual property spinoffs?
8. What would it have meant for the camera industry had there been no mobile technology? Would Kodak and Agfa still be dominant players? Would there be a market for digital cameras?
9. What would it be like to ride in a train or bus or be in public place if there were not cell phones ringing? How much more cumbersome would it be if we still had to use phone booths?
10. How many romantic relationship would never have blossomed because shy men and women could not flirt with SMS?
Anything to add?